The Holy Spirit has given Trinity the legacy of uniting people of diverse backgrounds to worship our Risen Savior Jesus Christ together.


Trinity Lutheran Church was chartered on May 11, 1902 by Norwegian immigrants in the Clifton area. At the time it was part of the Scandinavian Evangelical Lutheran Church, and the original church building (1907) was constructed on the same ground as Trinity’s building today.


Several congregations merged with Trinity over the years. Another Norwegian congregation, the Scandinavian Lutheran Church of Crawford, joined Trinity in 1925. Later, a congregation of German heritage, St. James Lutheran Church of Mosheim, united with Trinity in 1951. About five years later, Trinity razed its first church building and began construction on the current building, which was dedicated in January 1957. Three years later, St. Paul Lutheran in the Pleasant Hill community, also of German ancestry, merged with Trinity in 1960.


The present building became a combined effort of Trinity’s members. The youth and the elderly, the employed and the retired, farmers and ranchers and homemakers salvaged bricks from the original building. Often a family endeavor in the evenings or on Saturdays, they cleaned and prepared the original bricks for re-use, so that part of Trinity’s new building would retain part of it’s first structure, merging past into present in a diverse, unified effort.


Trinity’s legacy is one of different ancestries, coming together for worship, fellowship, and service to our Lord. Today the Lord continues to bless Trinity with members from differing backgrounds and brings together a variety of gifts and skills for the building up of the Body of Christ (1 Corinthians 12). This is God’s Church. There is a place for you here.